NHCC Funds, Payment Methods and Noncash Donations
There are four ongoing funds at NHCC. There may occasionally be other funds set up for short-term fundraising goals, but these four funds will be available all the time:
- Ministry & Operations Fund
- H.O.P.E Fund
- Property Improvements Fund
- Impact Partners Fund
Donations to the Ministry & Operations fund pay for all the operating and programming expenses of the church. The other three funds are designated for special purposes.
The H.O.P.E (Helping Other People in Emergencies) fund has money that has been donated for the specific purpose of helping NHCC family or friends of NHCC’ers who are experiencing a financial emergency. Anyone may nominate themselves or someone else for financial assistance by completing an application form and returning it to the office for the HOPE team to review. Applications are available in the Info Center at NHCC or at the virtual Info Center by clicking here and selecting Assistance. This fund also distributes Christmas blessings in December.
The Property Improvements Fund holds money designated for property improvements, large equipment purchases and major repairs. It will NOT pay for routine maintenance or repairs. NHCC budgets about $129,000 every year to pay for routine maintenance and repairs for the building, property and equipment. (The $129,000 does not include utility costs or payments on our loans on the property.) The Property Improvements fund is reserved to help pay for large expenses. Examples might be new rooftop heating & cooling units, extensive roof repairs, or other large expenses that cannot be handled solely through our general ministry & operations budget.
The Impact Partners Fund holds money designated for NHCC’s Impact Partners (See the Impact Partners section for more information on these partnerships.) 100% of the money donated to this fund is passed along to these groups.
Can I designate money to be used for a specific ministry purpose?
We do not have any standing funds other than the ones noted above. Occasionally, there may be short-term opportunities to contribute for a specific project. An example of this might be Student Ministry fundraising to help pay for a mission trip.
How can I donate?
- You can donate by dropping cash or a check in the offering on Sunday.
- There are also several lockboxes – located in the vestibule, Cafe, Info Center, the Family Room, the Well and the front desk – where you can drop off your offering on Sunday or during the week if you are at the church.
- You can donate electronically from your bank account or credit/debit card via our website or NHCC app.
- If you have an account with a bank or credit union that offers a “bill pay service”, you can request that they send a check to NHCC in the amount and frequency you wish.
- You can also personally mail a check to our office:
Attn: Accounts Receivable
North Heartland Community Church
4800 NW 88th Street
Kansas City MO 64154
Will I get an acknowledgement of my donation?
NHCC’s current practice is to send out giving statements on a quarterly basis. The year-end statement would be your documentation for tax purposes. If you need any information on your giving, you can contact Lynda Starkey at 741-1444 or email her and request an interim statement.
Can I donate stock or mutual fund shares?
Yes. NHCC maintains an account with Scottrade. Contact Lynda at firstname.lastname@example.org and request instructions on transferring the stock donation to NHCC’s account at Scottrade. You may be able to donate shares of a mutual fund. Check with your mutual fund company to see what is required and then contact email@example.com to have NHCC complete any necessary paperwork to complete the transfer of shares. There may be tax advantages to transferring appreciated stock or mutual fund shares directly to NHCC rather than selling the stock or shares and donating cash. You will need to consult a tax advisor about your financial situation to see if this option would be beneficial for you. These donations will not show up on your giving statement. You will receive a separate letter from NHCC reflecting these donation for tax purposes.
Can I make a non-cash donation other than stocks?
It depends. Some items that we can always use:
- Teacher Supply Giveaway & Educator’s Resource Center (ERC) items: We have an annual Teacher Supply Giveaway (usually in late July). We also maintain a storeroom of these supplies for teachers in need to access throughout the year. We accept donations year-round for this purpose. Items that you can donate would include: books, room décor, office supplies, craft and art supplies, paper, notebooks, pencils, pens, markers, glue sticks, stuffed animals and more! Gently used items are okay.
- Care Portal donations: We receive Care Portal requests regularly. We have a small storage area where we can temporarily store donations for the Care Portal. Items that can be donated to the Care Portal include: twin beds, twin mattresses, twin bedding, small dining room sets, small apartment furnishings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if the item is a Care Portal need, if there is currently room to store and to arrange a time for drop off.
- There may occasionally be other drives throughout the year for other items. Watch your program for these opportunities.
If you have an item to donate that doesn’t fit one of these categories, please contact NHCC to see if we can use the item. Currently, NHCC does not have an arrangement with a company to sell donated items.
If you need a letter for tax purposes for a non-cash donation, let us know.
BACK TO TOP